From Top Honors:
Dear Parents and Caregivers,
Top Honors (TH) is opening its doors for its 17th program year, and the enrollment application is now open for our free math tutoring program! We invite interested NYC parents with children in need of middle school math support to submit an online application at this time.
Founded in 2002, TH is a private, nonprofit educational charity that provides free, 1-on-1, math tutoring in Downtown Brooklyn and on the Upper West Side. We are funded with the support of our community volunteers, private grants, individual supporters, and fundraising events. We offer our math program at no expense to our families.
Our program works with 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade students who are motivated, yet can be described as under-performing in their math classroom. We welcome students from all five boroughs of NYC. We work with students who demonstrate a need for math support and compatibility with our program’s structure.
We do not provide homework help or test preparation. Rather, Top Honors assesses gaps in students’ math skills. Then, our tutors use an in-house math curriculum that builds out fundamental middle school math mastery.
OUR LOCATIONS AND SCHEDULE
Students commit to one session and attend the same one between October – May. Students commit to a full year of weekly tutoring. Our schedule is available at https://www.tophonors.org/calendar.
Downtown Brooklyn near MetroTech
UWS Manhattan on 93rd Street
Top Honors tutors are everyday NYC citizens who volunteer their time. 90% of tutors are young adult working professionals, 10% are advanced high school students or college / graduate level students.
Here are the steps to begin the application process:
1) Submit an online application for EACH child a parent wishes to enroll here.
- If you do not have 2018 state math test scores, please contact your school’s leader. We have found that public school administrators are quite understanding when parents offer an explanation of why you seek this information, as part of the application to our program. At the time of this e-mail, scores have not yet been released. Please submit using ANTICIPATED scores and make a notation stating so. When they become available, parents should e-mail updated scores to TH.
2) Register each child for an interview date (parents will be prompted to register for an interview appointment on the application’s confirmation page through a link).
3) Wait for a confirmation e-mail for the interview date.
4) Attend interview on time (both parent and child).
If parents or caregivers have any immediate questions, please first review the information at www.tophonors.org/apply before contacting us at this e-mail account. We are unfortunately unable to return phone calls.
We are looking forward to meeting you!